Posted: Dec 07 2018
By-pass the sickness blues this season, with our DIY immune boosting juices.
Although Christmas cheer is in the air, so is the common cold. While it’s impossible to avoid everyone that we come into contact with, there is something we can do. We can strengthen our immune system by these all-natural recipes.
- Give ginger a go
Ginger is a staple food item in most parts of Asia and has many medicinal properties. Alongside fighting the common cold, it reduces nausea and helps digestion. The flavour of ginger has a kick of heat to it, ‘Gingerol’ is responsible for this. Gingerol is also responsible for the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that ginger is known for.
- Black pepper
- Boil water in a pan
- While the water is coming to a boil, add ½ an inch of ginger (skin on if you’d like) to the boiling water.
- After 3-4 minutes, add up to half a lemon.
- Boil for an additional minute, carefully transfer your drink into a mug and season it with black pepper.
- Stir the mixture, wait for it to cool slightly and enjoy.
2) Good old green juice
You may have come across many variations of green juice. They’re a great all-rounder for healing the body. Leafy greens like spinach provide a great source of amino acids. Did you know that frequent colds could be your body telling you that you are lacking amino acids?
Parsley, on the other hand, may be used sparingly as a garnish by some, but it’s actually a great source of vitamin C. Vitamin C has the function of neutralising the free radicals travelling around your body that cause infection.
- 2 Celery Stalks
- ½ inch of ginger
- Handful of Parsley
- Handful of Spinach
- A Green Apple
- Wash all of the ingredients
- Peel the green apple (optional)
- Cut the apple and ginger into pieces
- Place all of the ingredients into a juicer and blend
3) Golden Milk
Named after its yellowish hues. Turmeric is the star of the show and the reason is due to its anti-inflammatory benefits. It is particularly useful for digestive issues, coughs and research shows that the medicinal properties in turmeric help treat cancer.
- A tablespoon of turmeric
- Milk of your choice (coconut milk works well this recipe)
- 1-2 teaspoons of honey
- Using a saucepan combine all of the ingredients
- Allow the golden milk to come to the boil
- Using a sieve, pour the mixture into a mug to minimise any lumps
There you have it, 3 immune-boosting recipes to help you fight through winter. Remember, these recipes are not static if you want to add some ginger and black pepper to your ‘Golden Milk’ mixture you can, or maybe some apple cider vinegar to your ‘Good old green juice’.
Give it a try, tell us what your favourite recipe was.