Posted: Jun 13 2017
Depending on where you live, mosquitos can be a real problem during the Summer months. We tend to be outside more and the mosquitos love that too! Insect repellent is usually full of chemicals, so why not make a natural version that's safe for your children too.
DEET is found in most insect repellent since it is used to repel, rather than kill, insects. However, it can cause eye irritation, rashes, soreness, blistering, or even can cause adverse neurological defects in children. Here's a DIY insect repellent from blogger, Wellness Mama:
HOMEMADE INSECT REPELLENT
- 30 drops geranium essential oil
- 30 drops citronella essential oil
- 20 drops lemon eucalyptus essential oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 10 drops rosemary essential oil
- 1 tablespoon vodka or rubbing alcohol
- 1/2 cup Natural Witch Hazel
- 1/2 cup water (or vinegar)
- Vegetable glycerin (optional)
- Place essential oils in a glass spray bottle. Add vodka or alcohol and shake well to combine.
- Add witch hazel and shake to combine.
- Add 1/2 tsp vegetable glycerin if using. This is not necessary but helps everything stay combined.
- Add water and shake again. Shake before each use as the oils and water will naturally separate some over time.